Area of presentation: Excipients - HPMC Capsules in prescriptions pharmaceuticals: Emerging trends
1) Dr. Jnanadev Bhat, General Manager - Product Development and New Product Offerings
2) Mr Fernando Diez - Scientific Business Development Manager
- What are the current global trends driving the pharmaceutical sector you are working in? How does your company respond to those trends?
- Capsule demand continues to grow keeping pace with pharmaceutical industry’s growth
- Industry looking for application specific capsule solutions e.g. – liquid fill, combination fill, dry powder inhalation, sprinkle use etc.
- Need for value added capsule products with specific properties such as alternative polymer material, low moisture content, tighter weight specifications, differentiated and complex printing etc.
- ACG with its more than five decades of experience and expertise has one of the widest portfolios of gelatin and HPMC capsules in 15 sizes and application-specific variants to offer.
2. What are the top challenges faced by the pharmaceutical sector you represent at this moment? How does your company deal with these challenges?
- Capsule is a critical input in the pharmaceutical manufacturing value chain
- Important parameters for our customers are quality and regulatory compliances, supply chain security, trouble-free performance on encapsulation machines during the manufacturing stage. In the product development stage – the compatibility and performance of capsule with formulation is the key
- ACG is world’s 2nd largest manufacturer of empty hard capsules with 5 manufacturing plants in India and Europe and sixth one under construction in Brazil – to offer reliable supplies. All our plants are regulatory compliant and certified
- ACG also has proven expertise in encapsulation machines and a team of formulation experts to offer value added services to customers for maximizing the yield and assisting on resolving formulation compatibility issues
3. What topic are you presenting at the Pharma Insight briefings and why is this subject so important to the market at this time?
The objective of this presentation is to review the emerging trends in the pharmaceutical industry to accept HPMC capsules as an alternative to the conventional gelatin capsules. It is intended to present both – the points of equivalence as well as benefits of using HPMC capsules vis-à-vis gelatin capsules.Talking about capsules, many NCEs are not fully compatible with gelatin as a material for capsule due to reasons such as moisture sensitivity, cross-linking, brittleness etc. In addition to these chemistry based issues, there are also the cultural and consumer preference factors (such as choice of vegetarian option in capsules) that prohibit acceptance of capsules made with “animal derived” gelatin material.
4. What can attendees expect to gain and which challenges does this content address? Why should they include your presentation in their agenda?
- HPMC capsules are finding larger acceptance & applications for pharmaceutical formulators
- ACG has expertise, capabilities and over a decade’s experience in HPMC capsules
- Our subject matter expert will highlight both – the points of equivalence as well as benefits of using HPMC capsules vis-à-vis gelatin capsules.
5. How do you see your sector of the market evolving in the next 5 years?
Various market factors such as increased allocation on healthcare, growing consumption of nutraceutical & dietary supplement products, a greater focus on patient convenience will drive growth in demand for capsule dosage form.The capsule industry is also evolving fast to offer much more value-added solutions that meet the challenges of user industries. While the conventional gelatin capsules usage and growth will keep up with the growth rate of the pharmaceutical industry, the HPMC capsules segment will grow at a faster rate with its wide spreading preference and applications in both nutraceutical and pharmaceutical segments.